For this Mother’s Day, create a bouquet of flower cupcakes for mom! Angela from Wednesday Cake will show us how to make the best buttercream recipe, provide instructions on how to make beautiful petals and show us how to arrange your cupcakes and cutouts to create a stunning, edible bouquet.
guidelines + materials
TIME FRAME: 2-3 hours
- 6-12 unfrosted cupcakes (your own recipe or boxed cupcakes)
- Freezer zip lock bags or piping bags with tips
- Candies or sprinkles
- Construction paper
- Food coloring
- Vanilla buttercream, tinted
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp heavy cream or milk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
Mother’s Day Cupcake Bouquet
Create your own stunning, edible cupcake bouquet for Mom this Mother’s Day!
making the buttercream
Makes 2.5 cups (enough for 12-15 cupcakes)
1. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, or with a handheld mixer, beat the butter on medium for two minutes until creamy.
2. Add 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons of heavy cream and vanilla extract.
3. Beat on low for one minute, then increase to medium-high for two full minutes.
4. Add remaining half cup of powdered sugar if frosting is too thin or additional tablespoon of heavy cream if too thick.
5. Add a 1/4 teaspoon salt to finish.
decorating + arranging your cupcakes
1. To begin piping, take your piping bag or freezer zip lock bag with buttercream inside and start on the outside of the cupcake. Squeeze the bag and pull it towards the middle of the cupcake. This will form one petal.
2. Do this all the way around the cupcake
3. Add another smaller row of petals on top to make the flower more full (optional).
4. Put a piece of candy or sprinkles in the middle
5. Experiment with different ways to put icing on your cupcakes. For example, you can put two different colors of frosting in one bag.
6. Once the cupcakes are done, cut 4-5 leaves out of green construction paper. Cut a few strips of construction paper as stems as well.
7. Cut a piece of construction paper the shape of the bottom of a bouquet (the part where all the stems come together and bunch).
8. Arrange your cupcakes in a circle and then put the stems and leaves around the cupcakes to look like a bouquet.
9. Enjoy your cupcakes and have a Happy Mother’s Day!