do it yourself: super belt
Superhero Summer is in full swing here at the Museum! You can drop-in outside of the Innovators LAB to trace and draw your own superhero, create superhero accessories in our makerspace and even pose with our superhero photo prop! This month, visitors can make their very own superhero belt in our Innovators LAB! Follow these step-by-step instructions to make one at home.
guidelines + materials
AGE: 6 years old
TIME FRAME: 20 minutes
- 1 piece of drawing paper
- 1-2 sheets of craft foam
- 2-3 strips of chipboard that are 2 inches wide and 12 inches long
- 1 piece of chipboard cut into a 3-inch circle or square
- 1 pair of scissors
- 1 set of markers
- 1 brad fastener
- 1-2 canvas pouches (optional)
- Hot glue + hot glue gun
- 1 hole punch
1. Sketch out your emblem on a piece of drawing paper. Your emblem will be the same size as your piece of circle or square chipboard.
2. Place your sketch on top of a sheet of foam.Then trace your design with your pencil to create an imprinted outline in the foam. You can freehand your design as well!
3. Use markers to outline your imprinted design on the foam. Fill it in with color and cut out your design.
4. Hole punch the middle of the circle or square piece of chipboard. Then place the brad fastener through the hole.
5. Glue your foam design on top of the chipboard piece. The foam design will hide the brad fastener and will make the emblem sturdy. Use caution when using the hot glue gun!
7. Piece the strips of chipboard together to create a belt that fits your waist. Cut off any excess length and hot glue two ends together so you have one long strip.
8. Hole punch both ends of the chipboard belt. Place the emblem with the brad fastener through one of the holes, then glue the emblem to the belt to secure its place.
9. Secure the belt together by placing the brad fastener through the other hole as well. Open and close the brad fastener to take your belt on and off.
10. Use markers to decorate the pouches. Glue the patches onto each side of the belt. The pouches serve as pockets to store your superhero gear! (This step is optional.)
11. Use markers and foam to add more designs to your belt!